Monday, May 28, 2012

Spotlight on Dr Seuss

I thought I would take the time to highlight the very important Children's Author Dr Seuss.  It is true that I am two classes post graduate from a an endorsement in Reading, and that I find many reasons that his books build early reading skills in phonics, building vocabulary, and much more.   I am writing this post as a parent however and thought I would pay tribute to what it has done for my son to introduce him the the beginning readers before the age of two.  Lets review the imagination of Dr Seuss.

 Just a few of the books introduced before age 2......

and some good internet games at:
www.seussville.com










Dr. Seuss ABC's.........  I love that they mix upper case and lower case to help children identify uppercase and lowercase together.  I love the buzzy words that make the Alphabet fun.  My toddler says the letters on each page with me.  Some of them are hard, like X, and H, and W, but it's fun when we do it together.


      
The pictures are silly, and create character to the letters.  I like that they form complete sentences that start with each letter instead of one word.  Each sentence is vocabulary rich and doesn't give the child a memory of A is for Apple.  Well....."What else starts with A?" Names and people do too.








This book is so silly and thoughtful.  My son says "Think"!  It sounds like he's saying "Sink!"  The point of the book has however been reached.  There are so many Word families.  He got the -ink part.  There is also -eft, -op, -ink, -ight. 
When we get to this page, he says "Daddy!"  and points to the tall snuvs, and then he points to the little snuvs and says his own name.  What an imagination!
When we get to this page with the Rink Rinker Fink, he yells "Doggy!"


Then there are the sneaky vocabulary lessons placed in each book.  This one has taught him some household words.

He is not only learning the word family and sound for -amp, but also since reading the book,  he says "lamp!"
When we got to the Zlock, he learned the word "Clock!"
There are so many reasons why this collection of books introduced my child to a love for early reading, building new skills, and foster a vivid imagination!  I pay tribute to Dr. Seuss!

No comments:

Post a Comment